Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 01:03:46PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 09:25:37AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 07:36:46AM -0400, Stephen Clark wrote:
I am trying to get a crash dump but am unable to with FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p2

[...]
reboot -d
dumping 255M 2 chunks

Then nothing - the system doesn't reboot and I have to hard reset it.
When it comes back up there is no crash file in /var/crash
[...]
It's a known problem.  If when the machine reboots, you forcefully enter
single-user, you should be able to get the kernel dump using savecore.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=conf/118255
Your PR doesn't look like Stephen's problem to me, since according to
his description the system hangs when trying to do the dump so there
won't be anything on the disk for savecore to save.

You're right, thanks Ed.  His "when it comes back up there is no crash
file" is what threw me for a loop.

Stephen, does the problem *only* happen when using the -d flag, or does
the system lock up on reboot in general?

If the latter, try using one or both of the following sysctls:

hw.acpi.handle_reboot=1
hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot=1

If the lesser, I've no idea.

The problem only happens when I do the reboot -d. If I do reboot it comes back ok. I have tried it on two different platforms 1) a Biostar TForce 6100 mainboard with an AMD dual core processor 2) a Soekris net5501
with the same results. I get the dumping message and then it hangs and I have to
hard reset the box.

Thanks,
Steve

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)