On Sep 20, 2008, at 3:37 AM, Robert Watson wrote:
The tension here is between making promises we can definitely keep and starting to make promises that we can't. We'd like to err on the former, rather than latter, side.

Yes.  This is well understood and I agree with those priorities.

You already identified the end goal: extend support lifetimes. You placed constraint on how that could be accomplished: you were going to do the work. What I've done is identified our normal model for getting from the current starting point (a guy on a mailing list who, while enthusiastic, hasn't shown us the beef) to the proposed outcome (a guy on the security-officer team, commit access required to participate in the support process, etc). Here are the subgoals I broke it out into:

Again, what you are saying makes a lot of sense, and I have no problem with it. We're just missing the crucial bit -- what is it going to take to reach that goal? Regardless of commit bits, etc and such forth. Is 10 hours a week of one person enough? Does it really need 4 people with 10 hours a week? How do we get from here to there?

This is where I think we're missing each other. Achieving a commit bit -- sure, no problem with what you have outlined. But you haven't finished the thought enough to confirm whether me having a commit bit would solve the problem we are trying to solve.

I mean honestly, is one person with a commit bit and some time enough to solve the problem? I've been involved with enough projects to know that the real answer might be, "no, we actually have all the people we need with commit bits but our infrastructure makes doing this difficult right now".

If you've seen the appropriate Southpark episode: "Step 3: Profit!" "Dude, what's step 2?"

Let's make sure we understand each other clearly: the reason you're getting replies using words like "demand" is that it is easy to read your e-mails in exactly the above light. It is not a stretch to interpret them as reading, "Put me on the security officer team without having gone through any of the normal processes used to vet a new member".

Well, I find it really sad that I would refer to a hilarious episode about, of all things, Underpants Gnomes! and you would find some way to read it as a demand.

Someone is going pretty far to think that, enough such that I doubt it could be empirically proven, given that I have repeatedly stated that I could give a darn about a commit bit - and that my only goal is to make it easier for businesses like my $EMPLOYER to sustain deployment. And furthermore, over 90-something percent of my questions have only had the goal of acquiring information. Without that information, I'm not even certain that my skillset is what is necessary to improve this situation.

Once that information is made public, I may end up looking at it and saying either "this isn't something my skills can contribute to in a worthwhile fashion", "this isn't feasible based on what I know of resources that could be brought to the table", etc etc and such forth.

I mean seriously, Robert -- if I wanted to demand something I'd be SoL because I haven't the vaguest clue what to demand. I've facing this high black wall of no information. Nobody (on this side of that wall) can make intelligent decisions about what the right thing to do would be.

I'm sorry, there is another way to think about this. Yes, I am "demanding" (not a word I would prefer to use, but...). I would like the release team to be specific about what resource limitations prevent it from from longer support periods for -REL branches.

IF and WHEN such information is made available, my $EMPLOYER and a few others would be interested in discussing what resources we could bring to the table to help resolve those resource limitations. At that point we would determine how to best use those resources in a manner that the FreeBSD developers are capable of integrating and sustaining in the long term. (ie what you've outlined in your past two messages)

We can talk about changing the process, but I think you can't contribute to that conversation constructively without understanding the process. Simply demanding change (and that's how it reads) shows a lack of respect for how we got to where we are, and puts people people on the defensive. Or offensive, in some cases. :-)

I've never demanded change. I spent the whole afternoon yesterday rereading every post I've made to this list in the last 6 months, and nothing there demanded anything other than information about the resource limitations that were alluded to but never spelled out.

And yes, offensive seems to be the default selection by FreeBSD developers.

If you approach a software company and say "Look, we like your product, but it would really help us if you supported each minor release for 24 instead of 18 months, and the way you're going to do this is put our employee on your security response team", I think you'd see a lot of raised eyebrows there as well.

That's the point. I've never said anything like that. And a software company would totally understand the question as originally phrased. "What resource limitations prevent you from supporting this product for a longer period?" Any company would fairly promptly come back with an answer.

FWIW, there are at least 3 companies whose software product is supported on FreeBSD, or with Apache, or various other things because of my integration work for them. We approached them and said "We would like you to support XYZ. What do you need to do this?" The software company chatted with us about it, and everyone decided it was easier to have me do the integration work for them as opposed to paying them more. (other companies we paid for them to do the work, etc)

This is how things work. You ask a question, somebody answers the question and you sit and chat about solutions that meet everyone's needs. This situation with FreeBSD has been downright shocking because I've never before in my life been attacked for saying "We need this. How can I help?"

--
Jo Rhett