At 12:40 PM 10/1/2008, Fernan Aguero wrote:
Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, the PowerEdge SC1435 BIOS does not allow much
options here ... I can set the embedded SATA to 'ATA mode'
(corruption hell, tested with 7.1 BETA) or just turn it
'OFF' in which case the FreeBSD installer sees no disk
present.

This is on BIOS v1.1.2. A newer v1.4.4 is available and I'm
now researching how to update the BIOS to see if that helps.

Wow, thats too bad. Hopefully a newer BIOS will let you put the controller in SATA mode.

> Start with
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org//pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.1/7.1-BETA-i386-disc1.iso

I've used the amd64 version ... don't know if that makes any
difference, though.

It wont make a difference in terms of the SATA/PATA issue. However, once you get that fixes, you should be able to install the AMD64 image just fine. I would check the USB settings as well to make sure the "hand off mode" is disabled.

---Mike