Bartosz Stec wrote:
My tries to tune smb.conf to achieve better performance expose very strange bug:
Just executing:

   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba reload

made my system unresponsible from network. It happens three times until now so I'm sure that is the cause (but it happened after some succesful reloads a couple of minutes earlier, so it's not happening all the time command is executed).
Symptoms:

   - machine only responding to ping requests
   - ssh session shows, that config reload was succesful, and that's
   last thing showed (no shell after message)
   - can't connect with another ssh session, but no refuse nor timeout
   - on local console system seems responsible (alt +[1-9] works), but
   any try to login cause it to wait forever for password prompt
   - no kernel or error message on screen, and nothing suspicious in logs
   - alt+ctrl+del does nothing
- pressing power button and waiting for system to shutdown does nothing
   - hard reset was the only way
   - after first restart I've made full fsck and started rebuilding
   gmirror - when machine hangs second time rebuilding doesn't stop

I'm not a developer but it looks like some kind of deadlock? Note that changes I made to smb.conf was only in socket options.

Update:
The true reason of this was a filesystem - I've noticed some strange kernel message about "old format snaphot". Fsck didn't found any fs error, so I just deleted all snapshots from /usr. Problem is gone now. Note that snapshots were about 2 months old so it's still scary :)
Sorry for confusion.

--
Bartosz Stec