I have previously written about a mountroot prompt, here are some details.
I have a system with an asus m3a78-emh hdmi board, a 74 gig raptor drive, and a dual core amd am2 cpu. I have had this result with both the amd64 and i386 systems. My steps were all conducted today as follows.

install 7.0 release
run freebsd-update
get src tree
build world
build and install kernel
reboot and be greeted by a mountroot prompt.

It appears the drive numbering changed. /etc/fstab has the drive partitions with the number 5, the subsequent reboot got me a number 8.

This is a test system not doing anything, so I can kick it any which way to test stuff.

Brian Whalen