Oliver Fromme wrote:
martinko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > martinko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > 1) I wonder if I could use mergemaster to compare 2 directories and > > > merge differencies as neccessary. To explain: I have all config files I > > > touch saved with full path somewhere in /root. And therefore I'd like > > > mergemaster or some other tool to compare all files in my backup > > > directory with newly installed (config) files. > > > > You can use mergemaster against any directory, not just
 > > /etc.  This is especially useful when perforing a binary
 > > update, a cross update or similar things.

Yes, You can.  I've done it several times.  And I'm sure
I'm not hallucinating.  :-)

> I have all config files I edited saved with full path under my backup > directory and I would like to use mergemaster or something similar to > compare and merge my changes (perhaps from other machine). But if you > try to use mergemaster (you need to specify both -m and -D)

You only need -m if you have installed the source somewhere
else than /usr/src.

> it would try > to run make (1) which fails since there is no Makefile in my backup dir. :-(

You have to it runs make(1) in /usr/src/etc (unless you
override the path with -m) which contains a Makefile.
If it doesn't, you haven't installed the system sources
correctly.

From your description it sounds as if you used -m to
point to your modified etc files.  That's wrong.  Please
follow the instructions that I explained in my previous
mail message.  It works.  As I said, I've done it plenty
of times.

Best regards
   Oliver

OK, it's obvious now that I didn't make myself clear enough. Sorry. :-)

I'd like a more general purpose utility, be it mergemaster or sth else. I like the way mergemaster works but I'd like to use it not only for /etc (after make) -- I'd like to point it to my backup directory which doesn't contain all of /etc and compare the files it finds with those in /etc. Or point it to arbitrary 2 directories and compare their files.

Cheers,

Martin