On 22.10.2008, at 17:38, Freddie Cash wrote:

Personally, we use it in production for a remote backup box using ZFS and Rsync (64-bit FreeBSD 7-Stable from August, 2x dual-core Opteron 2200s, 8
GB DDR2 RAM, 24x 500 GB SATA disks attached to two 3Ware 9650/9550
controllers as single-disks). Works beautifully, backing up 80 FreeBSD and Debian Linux servers every night, creating snapshots with each run. Restoring files from an arbitrary day is as simple as navigating to the needed .zfs/snapshot/<snapname>/<path>/ and scping the file to wherever. And full system restores are as simple as "boot livecd, partition/ format
disks, run rsync".

So your system doesn't suffer panics and/or deadlocks, or you just
cope with them as "collateral damage" (which, admitted, is less of
a problem with a logging fs)?

If that's the case, would you share the details about what you're using
on that machine (RELENG_7?, 7_0? HEAD?) and which patches
/knobs You used? I have a similar setup on a host which
backs up way fewer machines and locks up every... 3-9 weeks or so.
That host only has about 2GB ram though.

Thanx and regards,

Lorenzo