Whatever the command line arguments, running c89 almost always results in
the following output. Anyone else seeing this?

c89: illegal option -- 1
usage: c89 [-cEgOs] [-D name[=value]] ... [-I directory] ... [-L directory] ...
           [-o outfile] [-U name] ... operand ...

       where operand is one or more of file.c, file.o, file.a
       or -llibrary

Also, I seem to remember a discussion about making -std=gnu89 the default
for clang when run as "cc", but nothing seems to have changed. Could this
be picked up again, because there are in fact subtle semantic differences
between gnu89 inline and c99 inline that old code may rely on.