On 30 Jun 2017, at 21:35, Sid <s...@bsdmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't it make sense for toolchains, compilers and their libraries to have
> their own dedicated top level directories like something under
> /usr/toolchain/ and /usr/local/toolchain/ in the latest FreeBSD versions? It
> would be easier for maintenance, and organization of compilers and toolchain
> components.

Debian does something like this, and it’s a huge pain to work with.  The
problem is that toolchains are not self-contained monolithic components (though
gcc likes to pretend that they are).  For example, we want gcc and clang to use
the same linker, the same C and C++ standard library implementations, and the
same system headers, irrespective of the compiler version.  Things that
actually are private to a compiler are in separate directories (see
/usr/lib/clang, for example).

David