Gavin Atkinson wrote:
On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 21:21 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
* Maxim Sobolev <sobo...@freebsd.org> [090206 01:50] wrote:
Alfred Perlstein wrote:
     - Update GENERIC to use usb2 device names.
Wasn't there a plan to rename usb2 devices to match oldusb names (where applicable) once oldusb had been killed? I don't see it in the list.
Probably, although coming from the other side as a user I find it pretty
annoying when there's somewhat gratuitous changes to the kernel config
files that I don't really care about that cause my kernels to break.

The vast majority of our users do not run -CURRENT, and so haven't had
to change config files yet.

One day, those users will be migrating from 7.x to 8.x, and shouldn't
need to change their kernel config for a "somewhat gratuitous change".

Your argument only works if people had already had to change their
config files once (usb -> usb2), and that by renaming these back they
will have to change their kernel config back.  Only people running
-CURRENT will end up having to do this twice (or indeed at all) if the
rename takes place, end users will not need to do it at all.

That's exactly my point. Number of people running -CURRENT is much less than total number of people running FreeBSD. Therefore, I believe we should try to avoid introducing any superfluous changes upon those users. Not even to mention large body of USB-related documentation that will need to be altered to match the new USB world order.

Users running -CURRENT should be prepared to make changes now and then, it's part of the game. I don't POLA is really applicable to them.

-Maxim