many thanks to

Hans Petter, who suggested trying unlpt0 - I'm sure I did, at some
stage, with the same (non-)result as ulpt0, but it's a good thought

and to

Warren, who pointed out the LIDIL / host-based nature of my printer and
thus the need for HPLIP.

So, I installed cups and hplip, put cupsd_enable="YES" (likewise hpiod
and hpssd) in my rc.conf, found a ppd file for my printer and set it up
via # hp-setup. After aliasing lp to /usr/local/bin/lp in my .zshrc, I
can print from the command line. The usb stack in 8.0 seems to make the
ulpt0 device acceptable to hplip/cups, so no need to rebuild my kernel
without it.

Steve
-----

apologies for the silly message that follows ...

Hackney Council may exercise its right to intercept any communication, the only
exception to this would be confidential survey data, with any employee or agent
of the Council using its telephony or data networks. By using these networks
you give your consent to Hackney Council monitoring and recording your
communication.

If you have received this e-mail in error please delete it immediately and
contact the sender.

For further information about Hackney Council policies please contact Hackney
Service Centre on: 020 8356 3000

London Borough of Hackney may exercise its right to intercept any communication
on its networks - for more information see

http://www.hackney.gov.uk/email_disclaimer.html