On 08/01/2010 04:37 AM, per...@pluto.rain.com wrote:
The following reply was made to PR usb/149039; it has been noted
by GNATS.

From: Fredrik Lindberg<f...@shapeshifter.se>
To: bug-follo...@freebsd.org, pilzablei...@web.de
Cc: Hans Petter Selasky<hsela...@c2i.net>
Subject: Re: usb/149039: [uhso] Binding problem with uhso
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:00:07 +0200

  I apparently missed some interface flags (that really doesn't make
  sense for this device, it's configured with a /32 mask so broadcast
  etc can only be to itself) that the network stack wants to work
  properly.

Is a /32 mask even legal?  Unless there's a special case involved,
it ought to mean that there are no interfaces on the subnet other
than this one, thus this interface has no peer to communicate with
and might as well not exist.

Adding net@ in hopes someone there knows what should happen.

Yes, technically a /32 mask defines only one single address, but it's
the only mask that really makes sense for this device.  /32 masks are
"legal" and commonly used for the loopback address of routers.

But this is is indeed a very special case.  The device has a
USB interface that accepts raw IP-packets (with no other
encapsulation).  Once you have told the device to connect, it will
tell you what IP-address you have and what DNS-servers to use, but
that's it.  My best guess is that the devices does PPP internally in
firmware and abstracts the point-to-point link with a IP-packet
interface.  But since none of these details are available the only (as
far as I know) viable thing is to set a /32 mask and set 0.0.0.0
(default route) to be directly reachable through the interface (route
add -interface).

Fredrik Lindberg