>Number:         160299
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       MicroSDHC-to-USB adapters do not work in FreeBSD 8.x
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have tried MicroSDHC cards from several different vendors (Kingston, Sandisk,
etc.), with different MicroSDHC-to-USB adapters (also Kingston and Sandisk), in
FreeBSD 8.x systems. All cause SCSI errors such as

(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): SYNCHRONIZE CACHE(10). CDB: 35 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): SCSI sense: Error code 0x52

Some USB flash memory sticks also produce similar errors. In all cases the
system sometimes hangs in the driver and the memory card or stick gets quite
warm, as if the system is trying the failed operation again and again.

It appears that the problem, which has existed since FreeBSD 4.x, is that the
system expects to be able to issue SCSI commands to flash drives (which are not
SCSI drives). As a search of recent PRs reveals, this problem has been
addressed as a "quirk" on a per-device basis for many individual devices
(including memory sticks and cell phones that emulate them), but keeps
recurring as new ones are released. A more general fix is needed.
>How-To-Repeat:
Place a MicroSDHC card in a USB adapter and insert in a FreeBSD 8.x machine.
Try to read and write it.
>Fix:
This behavior is so common that it should not be characterized as a quirk but
as a general property of USB flash devices. All USB flash storage devices
should have SYNCHRONIZE CACHE and similar SCSI commands disabled by default.
These commands should, of course, be enabled for USB-attached ATAPI rotating
media, which supports them.