On Fri, 2 Nov 2018, CeDeROM wrote:

Try to add VID/PID of your device into a usbmodem driver. Use
configurations to see which one works with your device. Rebuild the
module/kernel, reboot, try it out untill success.

After your device is recognised by usbmodem and creates several cuaU*
devices.. still Your device may require uploading a specific firmware
in order for gsm modem to work. You can find those in Windows driver
package.

Use MINICOM for cuaU communications that would save you a debug time.

That works for me - added 3 devices like that with no problem. In fact
they work better on FreeBSD than Windows ;-)

Alternartively, replace your modem with something that is known to
work - for instance QUECTEL EC25 LTE module works far better than my
previous stock 3G module here..

I think we're losing the plot here a bit.

While this is generally useful advice, this thread was originally about the USB serial console port of Cisco ASA firewalls. It should just be a plain ol' USB-to-serial setup. No actual modems of any kind involved, especially not cellular ones.

I suspect we shouldn't even be loading umodem at all -- just ucom. But for some reason, umodem gets loaded when I plug the thing in. With just an FTDI serial-to-usb adapter in there, umodem doesn't just, just ucom.

These firewalls (and I suspect all of Cisco's newer routers and switches) have both normal serial and mini-USB-to-serial ports, and you can connect a simple USB-to-serial converter (PL2303, FTDI, etc) into the normal port and of course that works fine on FreeBSD. But it would be nice to skip needing the dongle...