Hi,

I was able to successfully run through the steps and start running the
virtual machine. However, once I start the guest, the host freebsd
machine hangs.

I have installed the freebsd host in x86_64 machine.  This is the hw spec.
sysctl -a | egrep -i 'hw.machine|hw.model|hw.ncpu'
hw.machine: amd64
hw.model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7500  @ 2.93GHz
hw.ncpu: 2
hw.machine_arch: amd64

1. Is it that Bhyve is not fully running in 64 bit amd or x86 processor? Or

The e7500 model has VT-x, but not EPT so the vmm.ko kernel module should fail when being loaded. Hmmm, not sure the script would handle this.

 So, unfortunately your h/w doesn't quite have what BHyVe requires :(

2. Is it that Byhve runs on 64 bit x86 but not 64 bit amd?

That is currently true, but your CPU is Intel - FreeBSD's generic term for 64-bit Intel architecture is "amd64" so that's not the problem.

later,

Peter.