tech-lists wrote on 2019/03/19 01:23:

Am I correct? In that I should have used UFS in the guest rather than
zfs? Or was it the encryption?

As Alan already wrote - you can use ZFS inside of the guest but I would never choose ZFS in zvol backed guest. I prefere UFS. It is faster and does not need so much memory as ZFS does. My VirtualBox and Bhyve guests are small. Sometimes <1GB of RAM. Sometimes 2GB of RAM and that is very small for ZFS.

May be you can try to limit ZFS ARC size in /etc/sysctl.conf or in /boot/loader.conf
vfs.zfs.arc_max
Choose about 1/4 of your guest's RAM size and test it again.

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman