On 09/01/2021 17:11, Brandon helsley wrote:
I am using VirtualBox 6.1 and have had another problem booting after an error
with the system. I have made this post about the failure to boot before with
screenshots on virtualbix forums but they told me it's an error with FreeBSD
and to search for help there. Since I ran into the problem again I thought I
would make this post. Also, this occurred after canceling an unsafe build of
apache24 with Cntrl c and then rebooting. Below I have included a copy paste of
part of the last log file where I think it displays what went wrong.

ZFS: I/o error - all block copies unavailable
ZFS: can't read MOS of pool root
gotzfsboot: failed to mount default pool root
FreeBSD/x86 boot
ZFS: I/O error - blocks larger than 16777216 are not supported
ZFS: can't find dataset 0
Default: root/<0x0>:
boot: _

<snip>

Well either FreeBSD has flipped, or there's something wrong with your ZFS data. (obvs.)

What I do at times like this is mount he zpool on something else and find out which it is. If your datasets normally end up mounted on / (likely if you're booting off it), make sure you import using the option altroot=/something/other/than/root or you'll end up with no OS afterwards. readonly=off is also a good one.

Good luck, and if you're not familiar with ZFS to import volumes, please ask. The above advice on altroot was a timely reminder, not a tutorial!

Frank.