On Sun, 17 Nov 2013, Thomas Mueller wrote:

from Warren Block and my previous message:

"hostap" is to make a FreeBSD system with a wireless card into a
wireless router.

Access point, if I understand correctly, would have a wired
connection, such as cable or DSL, and the other computer, with the
wireless adapter, would have the Atheros or other wireless adapter.

No, a router generally has at least two network interfaces.  A FreeBSD
wireless router would have both wired and wireless interfaces.

I have a wireless router, but not a FreeBSD wireless router as such.

Wireless router has four Ethernet ports and a little antenna, is
connected by an Ethernet cable to a cable modem which is in turn
connected to cable jack.

If this router is the access point, I guess I wouldn't use hostap on
ifconfig command line.  Use "wlanmode sta" in ifconfig?

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Most of the time, the FreeBSD system is just a client trying to connect to the access point. This article shows how to set that up both in /etc/rc.conf and manually with commands: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/wireless.html