Am 2016-08-16 12:06, schrieb Roger Pau Monné:
On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:29:43AM +0200, rai...@ultra-secure.de wrote:
Am 2016-08-16 10:54, schrieb Roger Pau Monné:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 05:54:52PM +0200, rai...@ultra-secure.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a problem.
> >

> Hello,
>

> > For a customer, I run a VM in Xen that should perform a certain task
> > in PHP
> > (written using the ZendFrameWork).
> >
> > That task takes about 18-20 seconds on FreeBSD 10.3 amd64, MariaDB
> > 5.5.0,
> > php 5.5.37 in a VM that has 8 vCPUs and 16GB of memory
> > The "reference" server that the customer uses is somewhere else and
> > manages
> > to perform the same task in 3s.
> >
> > I've tried this with FreeBSD 10.3, PHP7.0 and MariaDB 10.1 and it
> > takes
> > about 9s.
>
> In the sentence above, are you running it in a Xen VM or on bare metal?

This is both Xen.
I think the customer is also running it on some sort of virtualization.

Hm, so a given workload on Xen takes ~9s, and it also takes ~9s when run on
bare metal FreeBSD, is that right?

It only takes 9s with Linux as a Xen-guest.
With all things equal (PHP-version, MariaDB-version), FreeBSD is essentially only half as fast as Linux as a Xen-guest.
Sorry for the confusion.

> hw.xen.disable_pv_disks=1
> hw.xen.disable_pv_nics=1

OK, can I still boot the VM with this or will NICs and disks show up as
different devices then?

NIC will show up as "re", disks as "ada" (which is what you already have).

I tried this with the FreeBSD 11 VM mentioned in my other mail and it only gets a bit slower.
Between 5% and 10%, I'd say.