Selam,

O kadar cok kullanicili bir sistemde qmail calistirmadim ama qmail-scanner
sitesinde performance ile ilgili bir bolum var. Boyle bir sistemi calistiran
arkadaslar varsa, eminim donanimlarini ve sistem ayarlarini soylerler.
Asagida da yazdigi gibi, ne kadar cok SMTP connection, o kadar cok RAM ve
SWAP, bir de qmail-scanner yuklendikten sonra softlimit degerini yukseltmen
gerekecek. Yoksa calismaz. Umarim qmail-queue patch'i zamaninda
yapmissinsindir. Aksi takdirde, qmail-scanner i calistirmak icin yapman
gerekecek.

Kolay gelsin
Metin Pasaoglu

Performance/Resource Usage

Adding content/virus scanning to an email server will considerably add to
the resource usage of that server. As this "wrapper" is written in perl
instead of low-level C, quite a lot of memory and file opens/stats occurs
just to get it going. Adding to this the actual scanners memory and CPU
usage and it becomes quite complicated (certainly the debugging info shows
that the scanner harness spends more time running the external scanners than
it does doing things itself [that is to be expected as they do quite a lot
of thinking...]).
As a "rule of thumb" I'd suggest you look at how many simultaneous SMTP
sessions you are willing your box to have going at any one point in time.
Each SMTP session can invoke up to 'n' different virus scanners (although
they run one after the other - not simultaneously) and I'd estimate that
leads to around 5-6Mb of memory usage per SMTP session. Thus if your
dedicated SMTP host has 256Mb RAM + 256Mb swap - that should mean you can
handle - well heaps ;-) The scanners cause the CPU to be thrashed while
they're running, so I'm making sure for our site that our Qmail server will
only accept up to 30 incoming SMTP sessions at any one time - that way I
know the box will handle it. As this leads to an increased memory usage,
don't forget Qmail's memory limits will need to be increased to deal with it
(set via ulimit or softlimit calls with Qmail system startup scripts).

One thing you should test for is what happens if connectivity between this
server and another local SMTP server is down for any length of time (due to
failure/power outage). When the link is restored, can your server handle the
other trying to dump 1,000's of email msgs onto it at once? You need to use
softlimit and tcpserver's limit options to ensure your box doesn't get
killed. Note that this resource issue isn't caused by Qmail-Scanner. The
same thing will happen with a pure, untouched Qmail (or any other) system -
it will just happen sooner...

After that scare-mongering I should say that I have tested Qmail-Scanner
under ridiculously low resource conditions - and it reacts as it should - so
at worst your system should start deferring email. Thankfully DJB's layering
of programs is such that this is easy to accomplish :-)