The CM simply cannot tolerate Gold of less than -20. The cause of this
appears to be that CM configuration tab in the City popup doesn't allow
Minimum Surplus to be set below that.

This leads to problems late in a game, when a city can have many costly
improvements, and Tax Rate can be low with Coinage production to make
up. A particularly absurd outcome of this that I've observed was a CM
that set to Max Food starving a city, because it converted workers to
Taxmen to reduce Gold deficit to less than 20.

I would suggest having the lowest setting in CM configuration tab slider
be that a minimum surplus is not enforced for that output.