Christian Knoke wrote:
> This is in there since some time of 2.1. Something has been changed
> intendedly, I don't remember what it was.

Wasn't paying much attention at the time, but it made the empire happiness
code actually work!  As it was intended!

The default settings still aren't as stringent as commercial civ, where the
effects kick in at 10....

> I have noticed this earlier and complained about. It is impossible
> now to grow large empires (with happiness), and it may be very hard to
> at least manage them.

Well, you can always change the settings for a new ruleset:

data/default/effects.ruleset:
   Empire_Size_Base
   Empire_Size_Step

That's what Joan was asking for: better documentation.