                 Release: 2.2
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: None
         Planned Release:

The Player value has no .id field anymore so it cannot be saved via the
script values scheme.

The Player "class" lost its 'id' field in Revision r14223

Attached scenario tries to store a player value in a global script variable.
It will print the error "lua error: Failed to dump variables" if you try to
save a savegame. However, the rest of the savegame seems to save intact so
freeciv does very well.

It looks like the only way to fix it is to re-add the 'id' field, since all
our types are supposed to have it, but I don't know what that technically
entails.

the alternative is an id() accessor and then special-casing Players in the
dumper(?)

Discovered when updating
http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Events_Reference_Manual

thanks

Script inside the savegame, with the output vars=$$:

[script]
code=$
function new_turn_callback(turn, year)
        local player = find.player(0)
        I_am_player = player
        notify.all("Found player %s of the %s, now try save him/her into a
savefile", player.name, player.nation:plural_translation())
end

I_am_player = nil

signal.connect('turn_started', 'new_turn_callback')
$
vars=$$

---

The expected output in vars would be to somehow save the I_am_player
variable.

If there would have been more variables, all would be lost, not just the
player variable.

File Attachments:

Date: fredag 2010-03-12 den 13:37  Name: FailDumpPlayer.sav  Size: 33 kB
By: englabenny