I checked the code and moved the substraction of the bulbs needed as tech
upkeep after the city bulb production is added.

> What happens during anarchy? Currently you can loose several techs. IMO
tech upkeep should not apply then, like monetary upkeep is zero, too.

An additional patch which adds the effect Tech_Upkeep_Free can in some
minutes be found here.

> Should tech upkeep be allowed to be paid from stockpiled bulbs or should
freshly researched bulbs be required? The following pseudocode describes that
approach:

Here I'm for using the stockpiled bulbs as it is done for gold. This way a
little reserve is possible in dangerous times.

(file #8590)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: 20100320-trunk-add-tech-upkeep.diff Size:12 KB