Am Wednesday 30 June 2010 19:34:48 schrieb John Wilson:

> >* Very large maps:
> >For Longturn games, I think it should be possible to have much larger
> >maps. This would allow many more players to play simulaneously. There
> >seems to be a limit of 256x256 tiles at the moment. I have done some
> >experiments with maps of 1024x1024 tiles, but I get mostly segmentation
> >faults.
>
> A while ago I requested the max map size to be raised from 29 to 30 in bug
> #14661 and pepeto said this:
>
>  "As far as I know, the maximum number of tiles is (2^15 - 1) because on
> some
> places, the code assume the tile index is an signed short integer (e.g.
> path finding code).
>
> The size is automatically adjusted on the generator, and usually you don't
> get exactly the number of tiles you requested.  So, a margin must be hold."
>
> Maybe that gives a little more insight.

Yes, I did checked the code. If one wants to change the maximal number of
tiles (= map size) a lot of code has to be rewritten. If you take the numbers
it would be possible to go up to (2^15 - 1) = 32767 tiles.

If I remember correctly, one could replace the signed short integer by a
signed integer. This would increase the possible map size to 2^31 - 1 but
would also increase the calculation time for the path finding code as well as
the memory requirement.

Matthias
--
Matthias Pfafferodt - http://www.mapfa.de