I tried to reproduce this bug. I installed SVN r17748 of S2_2 into
/home/kernigh/prefix/x-freeciv-2.2 of my OpenBSD system, then started the
client:

$ prefix/x-freeciv-2.2/bin/freeciv-gtk2

The "Start New Game" button produced the same message:

"Starting server
Couldn't connect to the server
We probably couldn't start it from here
You'll have to start one manually. Sorry..."

freeciv-server never started. I found no freeciv-server processes and no
messages about /dev/null or IPv6. So I might not have reproduced the same
bug.

----

The workaround for me was to add prefix/x-freeciv-2.2/bin to my PATH:

$ PATH=prefix/x-freeciv-2.2/bin:$PATH
$ freeciv-gtk2

Then I can start game like normal.

(I like to skip 'gmake install' and run Freeciv from the build directory
using ./civ, so I never noticed this bug before now.)