> It's not a bug, it's a feature. (C)

Just in case you are not joking, I answer in serious manner.

Negative endturn would mean immediately ending game. We don't need 32770
different ways to say so (values (-32768) - (1) ). Allowing game to go beyond
current max endturn is a bad idea. Max endturn exist for a reason; freeciv
cannot handle turn numbers beyond it. Game would most likely crash in turn
32769 (max endturn + 1).
In addition to all that, my testing showed that there is callback check that
in fact prevents anybody from really setting negative endturn. Attempt to do
so resulted in error message "Cannot set endturn earlier than current turn."

This negative enturn stuff was probably oversight when old "endyear" (which
could be negative) setting was replaced by endturn.