> This is quite an old savegame (1.12). I do not know if this
> version is still supported. The answer seems to be NO.

We have never officially dropped support for even oldest of the savegames.
As savegame loading code become more and more complicated as over decade
worth of different savegame formats were supposed to be supported, I proposed
at one point policy that we support situation where user skips one feature
release, but not that user skips two feature releases. Had that proposal been
accepted (instead of effectively ignored), 2.3 would support loading savegames
from 2.2 and 2.1, but not from 2.0 or older.

> You could try to load it by freeciv 1.14(?) save it again and
> then go up to 2.0 => 2.1 => 2.2 => 2.3?

In any case going through every step should not be necessary. But it's hard
to know which steps are the correct ones.