After some more debugging I no longer think that player gets several phases,
I just misunderstood when turn had changed.

Basic reason for this error seems quite clear. When phasemode is some
alternating one, data phases (both advisors and default ai ones) are not open
for all players simultaneously. Current ai can cause another one, for which
data phase is not open, to evaluate treaty.
I think we have more similar problems where actions of one ai (whose phase it
is) can cause other ai to do something out of its phase. Diplomatic incidents
at least are likely to have this problem.