>> I wonder if line endings simply have to match those used when
>> freeciv.pot has been created (msgstrs collected)...

> By accident, I found that that is the case, yes. However,
> relying on this will be fraught when cross-compiling.

Ouch. Any pointers? I think I'll take this to gettext mailing list (if you
don't want to).

This means so many ways for things to get broken. Or should we have two sets
of translations; one for windows line endings and one for unix. Translators
will be thrilled!
Now, some localization may even be broken in linux because translator has
generated freeciv.pot in Windows.