Bit late but:
> I actually would appreciate some input about how we should
> handle savegame compatibility issues in development. [...]
> Can we just ignore the compatibility issues between two
> savegame formats that are introduced during active
> development (trunk) of the new version? If not, do we
> icrease format version number between the intermediate
> formats and provide compatibility hooks, or do we adjust
> to such changes within main loading code?
For my money, while it's desirable to maintain continuous compatibility during
development if practical (helps with binary chop, etc), if it means we have to
keep compatibility code forever for some transient state that only ever
existed deep on an unstable development branch, I'd rather we just broke
compatibility (saying so in commit messages).

(See also bug #19029.)