Follow-up Comment #2, task #7599 (project freeciv):

Oh, rats.

Bit of digging: there is hope for official Windows binaries, but they're not
available yet and work doesn't look overly fast.

2011-03: Tor (tml) says he's not maintaining it any more
<http://tml-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/gtk-on-windows-i-am-not-really-doing-it.html>
(source: SO
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5269657/precompiled-gtk3-for-windows>)
2011-05: OpenSUSE Build System binaries
suggested
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6006689/where-can-i-download-precompiled-gtk-3-binaries-or-windows-installer>
as an alternative
2011-11: A new maintainer?, Alexander Larsson, reports
<http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2011/11/25/gtk-work-on-windows/> Gtk2 binary
releases have resumed, and talks about work in progress towards Gtk3
2012-03: Alex reports
<http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2012/03/27/moar-windows-themes/> more work on
Gtk3; "We hope to have window binaries out for [Gtk+ 3.4.0] soon"
2012-04: Alex says "dieterv is working on the binaries. Not sure when they
will be finished..."
2012-06: Alex says "I know dieter is working on an official win32 binary
release, but I don’t know the status of it."

So I guess we can either:
* wait patiently for the official Gtk3 binaries; or
* try to use the OpenSUSE binaries; or
* ship the Gtk2 client

  <http://gna.org/task/?7599>