> My desire started as annoyance at the sharp boundary drawn
> between ocean and lake when transforming terrain

Lack of handling of these boundaries (I guess it can get really ugly in some
corner(pun intended)cases where some combination of lake, ocean, deep ocean,
and land is in play) in our tilesets motivated me to write this patch. I
consider it fix, or at least workaround, to a bug. Potential strategic feature
for custom rulesets is just a bonus (well, I already noticed one strategic
consequence when testing: player who saw only the other end of the lake could
deduct that swamp in the other end was transformed to ocean)