> One thing i've noticed in conjunction with server-side
> auto-attack: units that have been given the 'Fortify' command
> can be reliably counted on to engage approaching enemies.

 Sounds opposite of what it should be. Fortified units have have better
defense, so they should be less likely to find attack better option than
waiting in defense. Attack also removes their fortified status, so it weakens
their defense value against further attackers.

 I noticed that unit_win_chance() is used by autoattack. Some of the recently
fixed defense bugs affected it, but I believed it to affect client side win
chance display only.