                 Release:
         Discussion Lock: Any
        Operating System: Any
         Planned Release:

Noted in bug #18467 ("bug 2"):

If the client's handle_single_want_hack_reply() finds that hack is denied for
some reason, it says "Failed to obtain the required access level to take
control of the server. The server will now be shutdown." But the server is not
shut down.

I think this is because client_kill_server() tries to do "/quit" if the
connection to the server is still up. But "/quit" requires hack access...

I think it would be sufficient to add a "client_has_hack" test in
client_kill_server(), which will push it down the process-kill path. (But I
haven't tested it.)

(Also the message should probably say "attempting to shut down", as if you
didn't get hack you might not be able to shut it down either, say if you've
somehow connected to a server you didn't start.)