Adding i18n list as this is mainly concern for translations.

On 5 April 2013 20:19, Emmet Hikory <per...@shipstone.jp> wrote:

>     As part of the general coverage of "negated" I wanted to update
> the helpdata, so that it didn't report "Requires Amphibious Elephants"
> when in fact if one had built that road adjacent to the city, one would be
> *unable* to build the "Miniature Aquarium" SmallWonder.  Reviewing what was
> already there led to patch #3836, but I stumbled when it came to adding the
> negation, as there were four sensible ways to do it, and I'd rather ask
> which is preferred than just do it the wrong way and need to redo it.
>
> Method 1: static grammar, static strings
>     Define four strings in the beginning of insert_requirement(), being
> "Requires that", "Prevented by", "Applies to", "Does not apply to" or
> similar.  Rephrase all the helpstrings to start with one of these pairs
> of strings, and use preq->negated : reqstring ? nreqstring or similar as
> an additional %s parameter in the cat_snprintf() calls.

 Those should be full format strings (with '%s' in them) so that
translators are free to set order of words (i.e. there can be something
*after* %s) as their target language requires. "Requires %s", "Prevented by
%s", "Applies to %s", "Does not apply to %s".

> Method 2: static grammer, dynamic strings
>     Define two string variables at the beginning of insert_requirement(),
> being "Requires that" and "Applies to".  Have a single conditional on
> preq->negated that would reset these strings to something else if it was
> met.  Rephrase all the helpstrings to start with one of these pairs of
> strings, and use reqstring or appstring as an additional %s parameter.
>
> Method 3: dynamic grammar, compound calls
>     Replace the current translated strings with pairs of translated strings
> depending on whether this is a positive or negative requirement.  Decide
> which
> to use with preq->negated : _("First String") ? _("Second String") embedded
> in the cat_snprintf() calls.
>
> Method 4: dynamic grammar, conditional calls
>     Duplicate and wrap the snprintf() calls in preq->negated conditionals.
> Rewrite the negative text in every case.
>
>     Advice, selection, or recommendation of even better ways to do it
> welcome.
>
> --
> Emmet HIKORY

 - ML