One last detail which I forgot to add: I think you could not reproduce the bug
simply because it's triggered by the pace at which the server will process the
packets it receives; for a relatively low number of units, the server will
reply quickly enough to let the client updates the units status before it
needs to select the next unit to focus on.

My computer being fairly old, I can see the issue happening very early.
Perhaps if you raise the number of units in my example by a significant amount
(a hundred or so might do it), you would experience it as well.

If you believe that such scenario is unlikely to happen, or you still cannot
reproduce it, just disregard and close the bug report.

Thanks.