In principle I'd like to follow standard when there's no reason not to, but as
jtn said the transition would require significant work (especially scenarios
directory that is supposed to be shared between past and future versions).
Every now and then I have considered making it goal of next release, but there
has always been more important things.
That said, original reason for this particular patch was to get client
settings file inside same directory most other freeciv files are in - cleaning
home dir is only the additional immediate benefit. For supporting setups where
boot media is not writable, I'd want to have just one writable directory
location easily configurable. I'm not sure how well XDG would work in that
respect.