> When at war, some extra money could help the AI to win some
> battle, but extra science is more useful to win the war. I see
> no reason to stop all kind of researching in this case.

Maybe, but stopping AI from trying to get results fast is likely to cause it
to attack with so low power that it never achieves anything and just wastes
resources over neverending war. Such an behavior change would require a lot of
testing to see overall results (over various rulesets and settings), and at
this point fixing the reggression is much higher priority.

So I think the order you suggested in comment #2 is what we should have now.