I think this is a client issue: the tiles should still have the specials
registered (so that one has a hint that transforming them back restores the
special), but the specials should only be active if on a matching terrain, and
no sprite shown otherwise (enables tricks like
Oil(Glacier)->Tundra->Oil(Desert)).

Looking at https://github.com/cazfi/freeciv-web.git, I suspect that adding a
filter in tilespec.js:get_tile_specials_sprite() might help (but note that
there isn't an associated filter in tilespec.c:get_resources_sprite()).  I'm
not sure precisely why these aren't displayed in the other clients, but maybe
someone more familiar with the client code could help in more detail.