My plan was to enable zones of control in deep oceans because I like naval
units to be able to protect adjacent units without moving to the same tile,
and because it could encourage the use of naval formations.
But I do not like to enable ZOCs in coastal ocean because naval units could be
stoped by units placed in land.
I like the resultant gameplay with ZOCs in Deep ocean and not in Coast, but I
do not find any realistic (or narrative) reason for this difference between
deep and coastal ocean, apart of the improved gameplay.

If you like the idea of naval units with ZOC, but only when placed in Deep
Oceans, then the patch would be ready by simply removing the "noZoc" flag from
Deep ocean terrain.