Though fixing my problem is mater of fixing my ruleset, not supplied ones,
I've got regularly to a situation where I've conquered AI city in the early
game and then his/her nearby Worker has lost all purpose to move anywhere from
the far-too-well-defended spot it's on. Given their relatively good defense
compared to early game military units (and playing with high researchcost so
it takes a long time to get more powerful units) it would be very expensive
(in terms of lost units) to kill them off. So they stand in the middle of my
nation, causing all my units to take long zoc-avoiding routes around them.
Sometimes I've even needed to build extra roads to make movement round them
more efficient.