I have not yet confirmed it, but now I have a theory.

Players meet, and agree on cease fire, as a result of Ferdinand's alliance
with someone else breaking and unit bouncing next to Megawati's unit. All this
takes place within update_diplomatics().
As Ferdinand vs Megawati part of the update_diplomatics() iteration has
already gone past, that state does not change any more. Megawati vs Ferdinand,
OTOH, is only after they have agreed on cease fire, and thus the cease fire
counter for that state gets reduced.