Update of bug #22607 (project freeciv):

                 Release:             2.5.0-beta1 => 2.3.5, 2.4.3, 2.5.0-beta1

Follow-up Comment #3:

> I don't suppose you can try 2.4.3 and see if it does the same
> thing?
Never mind, I realised I could try this on Windows myself.

With the Japanese localisation, 2.3.5, 2.4.3, and 2.5.0-beta1 show the symptom
(on my non-Japanese-localised Windows 7 system).

The only exception I noticed was the help text for individual technologies,
which rendered plausibly correct (although I can't read Japanese to confirm
it).

I didn't find a setting for the Help Text font that made a difference (apart
from to the tech help), most help topics remained blank. Defaulted to
"Monospace Normal"; tried Bold, Sans, Serif, Arial.

Didn't try any other locales on Windows.