>Our windows packaging includes more than freeciv itself, it contains entire
system with things like gtk and its system-wide configuration file.

This is not correct. The file settings.ini in the freeciv folder is not
system-wide.

I also have gtk installed at C:MinGWmsys1.0optbin
In that folder is a test program called gtk-demo.exe which I am using to test
the gtk2 themes.

The freeciv settings have no impact on the settings in the optbin folder. The
settings for that folder are set at C:MinGWmsys1.0optetcgtk-2.0settings.ini

I did not develop this system this is how the gtk build on mingw compiles and
installs.