> "0: bind failed: The system detected an invalid pointer address
> in attempting to use a pointer argument in a call." is really
> common on my machine.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms740668%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
specifically mentions "if the length of an argument, which is a sockaddr
structure, is smaller than the sizeof(sockaddr)." as an example where this
error gets returned. So maybe it's our attempt to be smart and pass correct
size depending on address family instead of generic size (one suitable for any
address family) that Windows is not liking.