I can't reproduce any lasting memory loss (sometimes it takes a while for
things to settle).

When I first open the dropdown menu, Xorg takes a bit more memory. If I then
cancel the menu (click the arrow again), the memory is immediately restored.
If I actually choose something from the menu, Xorg takes a lot of memory and
that's not restored for some time.

Though that memory usage is not necessarily any way related to your problem, I
tracked it down to the fact that production change request is sent to the
server, server sends an updated city info with the changed production target,
and the already open city dialog gets refreshed in its entirety (so the
problem can be in any element of the dialog, not necessarily in the production
menu (which I assume gtk to close already before the server response gets
handled))

In addition to handling of the server sent message, there's another case where
real_city_dialog_refresh() gets called for open dialog: when one changes to
"Next" or "Prev" city. Does the usage of those buttons cause similar memory
consumption problem for you?