> One way to separate addressing and reading/writing is to make
generate_packets.py generate code (inside #ifdef
> FREECIV_JSON_CONNECTION) that handles addressing. Would anyone object to
this approach?

Can you do it so that in the future it can be extended to a case where both
raw- and json-protocol are enabled at the same time? Having a lot of stuff
added inside #ifdef FREECIV_JSON_CONNECTION does not sound like that.
That's not necessarily a reason to reject your plan; it could be used as an
temporary solution for now (no idea when I would have time to get into any
dual-protocol setup anyway). Still, it's something to consider.