Its not the randomness of tech loss where I see some problems.

Loosing an very old or old technology will give only few research points back.
If you do not react and "make" some science, you will loose the next one
soon.

Loosing old technologies will often have unexpected and unrealistic side
effects.

Loosing old technologies as opposed to newly researched ones, is in itself
unrealistic.

Thats why I suggest to "loose" recently achieved techs only, maybe with a
preference for higher techs.

Of course, preventing holes in the research tree is a good thing.

Christian