I did some fairly thorough testing on my 32-bit English Windows 7 Home Premium
setup to try to reproduce trouble of this kind, and failed; I conclude that my
machine is unaffected, so I can't help track this down.

I tried most of the combinations of:

2.5.1, 2.5.1+r30387
<http://download.gna.org/freeciv/packages/windows/testing/cazfi/2.5.1+r30387/>
*
freeciv-gtk2, freeciv-server
*
system display languages English, Gaeilge
*
locales: pl, ja, ko, bg, ru, fr, de, ga, gd, en_US, en_GB, auto[=en_GB],
non-existent "spong"

In none of these cases did the server fail to start, and I didn't notice any
other trouble. (For the client cases I quit the game immediately after it
started.)

(I did get the "Invalid string conversion from UTF-8 to CP1252" message for
freeciv-server in languages like pl, ja, ru. I think this is simply that the
character set of the Windows console on my system doesn't have the characters
needed for those languages, and doesn't itself mean we should expect other
weirdness.)